Skip Navigation
Michigan Business, official portal for the State of Michigan Home
  • One Stop Home
  • Contact Us
  • Site Map
  • close print view

    Motor Bus - Change of Company Name

    The Michigan Department of Transportation issues Motor Bus Certificate of Authorities to persons/entities that operate buses for-hire on Michigan roads and highways. Web Ste:,1607,7-151-9625_21607_21616---,00.html

    New!  Applications for these tasks are submitted and paid for online through the Michigan Business One Stop portal.


    Motor Bus Certificate of Authority Name Change


    Motor Bus Transportation Act, Public Act 432 of 1982, as amended. MCL 474.101-139 Web Site:



    Regulations: MCL 474.131 adopts certain Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations being 49 C.F.R. parts 382, 387, 390-393, 395-397 including appendices C, D, E, and G. Web Site:


     1.  Applicability (activities that require the permit)

    Any motor bus carrier that changes their business entity legal name

     2.  Pre-Application Requirements


     3.  Application Submission Requirements

    The following steps must be completed correctly in order to change your Certificate of Authority to operate as a motor bus carrier of intrastate passengers in the State of Michigan. Following completion of these steps a new name on your Certificate of Authority will be issued.

    A. Applicant Information, part 1 The applicant must completely fill out the Motor Bus Name Change Request on Form 3090

    B. This application must include the following: 1) Certified copy of applicant's Articles of Incorporation or Articles of Organization or Certificate to Conduct Business under an Assumed Name, or Articles of Copartnership (as applicable), or 2) Certified copy of applicant's Certificate to Conduct Business in Michigan (if incorporated in a state other than Michigan). If needed, please contact the Corporations & Securities Bureau at (517) 241-6400.

    C. Certificate of Insurance:

    You must request your insurance company to submit an MDOT form No. 3007, Certificate of Insurance, to MDOT, certifying bodily injury and property damage protection of $5 million combined, as well as Michigan basic no-fault coverage. The name appearing on your insurance certificate must be identical to the legal name as shown on your application. Your insurance company may obtain blank 3007 forms from MDOT, by contacting this office at (517) 335-2574. Filings must be signed by the insurance company or authorized branch representative. The signature of an insurance agent or insurance agency personnel is not acceptable. NO OTHER TYPE CERTIFICATE OF INSURANCE FORM WILL BE ACCEPTED.

     4.  Procedures and Time-Frame for Obtaining Permit or Approval

    Processing of a completed request usually takes from 1 to 2 weeks.

     5.  Operational Requirements


     6.  Fees

    Submit fees to the "State of Michigan" for $25.00.

     7.  Appeal Process


     8.  Public Input Opportunities


    E. Contact Information:

    Contact Us


    Creation/Revision Date:

    September 15, 2010


    QR code Home
  • State Web Sites
  • Site Map

  • Privacy Policy
  • Link Policy
  • Accessibility Policy
  • Security Policy
  • Michigan Survey

    Copyright © 2001-2014 State of Michigan